Whoomp! There It Is! Whoomp! There It Is! Party people, it was a three point party at the Quicken Loans Arena this past Wednesday in round two, game two. The Cleveland Cavaliers took on the Atlanta Hawks at home not only to win it, but to break the record for most 3 point shots ever scored in a single NBA game!!! The record for any game was 23 set by the Houston Rockets in 2013 and Orlando Magic in 2009. The Warriors had previously set the playoff record 11 days prior (without Steph Curry), scoring 21 threes…but that didn’t last long!
The whole season all we heard about was Steph Curry shooting threes here, shooting threes there. But come playoff time, the Cavs have proven that they can do that too, and even better! Fact is, we have a lot of good three point shooters: J.R. Smith, Love, Irving (even though he can take it to the house quite well too), Frye, Williams, Jones (when they play him), LeBron, and hell yes Richard Jefferson! I’m sure I’m missing a few. PS. Anyone remember that dope one-handed dunk from Shumpert? That’s just called keepin’ it real.
So all this being said, I was secretly wishing and hoping that Mo Williams would have been the one to actually break the record by scoring the 24th three pointer last night. To my surprise, they brought in my beloved Mo come time the fourth quarter. The entire game I was wondering, where is Mo? Why don’t they ever play Mo? Dress Mo? My Mo prayers were answered.
But as soon as Mo got in the game, he started to pass the ball. Is this Tyronn telling him to ease off on the shooting? Don’t be a ball hog? I don’t know, but I wanted to see Mo reign and conquer. And he almost did… right after reserve, Dahntay Jones, broke the ice and the record. Mo’s three was like the cherry on top of the sundae. Magic Number 25! And being the class act that he is, he held the ball in the last moments of the Cavs possession, so as to not rub it in.
Yeah, I know what you’re thinking. According to Charles Barkley, we were rubbing it in, maybe even being disrespectful to the Hawks. I don’t think so, Chuck. I love you, but you know that the Golden State Warriors would have taken advantage of the opportunity just the same they just wouldn’t have scored so many threes. And to touch on Barkley’s comment that the Hawks needed to take someone out of the game this isn’t hockey, Chuck. Yes, the rules and regulations have made the NBA a bit soft, but this is not bush league. We saw enough of that last year.
Sidenote: I think I saw LeBron and J.R. trying to convince Lue to put J.R. back in to make the record breaking shot. But maybe that was Lue’s way of punishing J.R. for folding under pressure just like Origami in the past. It’s okay. J.R. made his mark by making 7 out of 13 three point attempts. He was kind of the rainmaker after all.
Okay to recap the playoffs for the Cavs thus far:
1. The Cavs have dominated the Hawks so far and will hopefully sweep them just like last year.
2. The Pistons put up a good fight, especially in game one. Regardless, they kept the Cavs on their toes and prepared them for round two and another great three point shooting game.
3. Mo Williams will play sometimes. Just not sure how often.
4. The big three maybe meshing quite well now. And with the powerhouse three point
shooter J.R. Smith on a hot streak, maybe it’s the big four.
5. J.R. has not folded under pressure…yet. Hopefully, he can keep up his confidence and perform in the Playoffs / Finals accordingly.
6. Varejao has been returning to Cleveland for sleepovers. (I have no actual evidence of this, other than the massive amount of empty pizza boxes, curly hairs, and nacho debris left behind.)
7. They look like they’re having fun. They look like they’re rested. They look good.
8. The Heat might be hot, but these Cavs are on fire!
9. J.R. Smith is the new Steph Curry.
10. Draymond Green should not be making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on air. It’s boring.
11. Bone Thugs N Harmony have already done one half time show. We’ll be seeing them at the Crossroads again soon. Thanks Uncle Charley and Uncle Drew.
12. We don’t care about second place.
13. I won’t make 25 points….I’ll just skip to 25.
25. Jock Jams are still cool. Let’s Go Cavs!
Warning: include(/index.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/wp_3rbfyf/scoreboredsports.com/wp-content/plugins/social-share-button/includes/class-shortcodes.php on line 41
Warning: include(): Failed opening '/index.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /home/wp_3rbfyf/scoreboredsports.com/wp-content/plugins/social-share-button/includes/class-shortcodes.php on line 41